CRYPTO HIGHS AND LOWS IN 2021:
* The world’s richest man, Elon Musk, sparks wild swings in Bitcoin, Ethereum and Doge (which he holds) and Shiba Inu (which he doesn’t) with impromptu tweets … once more.
* Australia’s federal inquiry quizzes the monetary expertise business and makes 12 bipartisan suggestions for cryptocurrency regulation.
* The tax workplace tracks greater than 800,000 Australians transacting in cryptocurrency, as participation surges year-on-year.
* US Federal Reserve businesses pledge a crypto-asset “coverage dash” in 2022 however make no speedy adjustments to guidelines and laws.
* US says better readability is coming for crypto-asset safekeeping and custody providers, shopping for and promoting of crypto-assets, loans collateralised by crypto-assets, issuance and distribution of stablecoins, and the therapy of crypto-assets on steadiness sheets.
* China’s central financial institution bans crypto mining and all cryptocurrency transactions.
* China develops blockchain expertise for its personal future state-controlled digital yuan and fee system.
* Bank of Russia warns of nice dangers for buyers, citing excessive volatility and use in unlawful actions, and advises monetary establishments to not facilitate cryptocurrency transactions.
* Russia’s parliament needs new legal guidelines for crypto miners who earn $US2 billion ($A2.8 billion) per 12 months tax free.
* Visa declares a Global Crypto Advisory Practice for retailers trying to broaden fee choices, banks keen to draw or retain clients with a crypto providing, and central banks serious about a central financial institution digital foreign money (CBDC).
* Commonwealth Bank turns into the primary Australian financial institution to supply clients restricted capacity to purchase, promote and maintain crypto belongings, with plans for a broader roll out in 2022.
* Blockchain Global, the developer of defunct crypto change ACX, collapses owing greater than $20 million after failing to adjust to a Victoria Supreme Court order to reveal belongings.
* MyCryptoPockets collapses with SV Partners appointed liquidators.
* The Reserve Bank of Australia completes Project Atom, a trial of a wholesale CBDC between banks.
* Solarcoin and Cardano lead a spread of greener cryptocurrencies amid extra international consideration on the carbon footprint.
* Treasurer Josh Frydenberg declares crypto change licensing and custody regime legal guidelines to be developed in 2022 and considers a retail CBDC.
Australian Associated Press