Nearly one in three American women say that they are planning to buy cryptocurrencies in 2022; nearly all of that third — 60% — intend to achieve this in the following three months, in accordance to a current survey by Jersey City, NJ-based crypto monetary providers firm BlockFi.
This newest survey, “Real Talk: Women x Crypto 2.0”, is the second of BlockFi’s (*1*) survey collection — launched in September 2021 — which asks feminine Americans ages 18 to 65 about their present motivations, behaviors and tendencies round crypto investing, monetary wellness and profession aspirations. The newest survey reached out to 1,031 feminine Americans and was performed by an unnamed third-party survey panel on January 28, 2022, in accordance to BlockFi’s announcement.
The main discovering in BlockFi’s newest survey is that almost all of women surveyed have a excessive diploma of religion in the long-term funding potential of cryptocurrencies — shopping for and HODLing crypto. (Fun truth: HODL is a misspelling for “maintain” made by a author in a Bitcoin forum put up in 2013 who described his put up as a drunk, semi-coherent, typo-laden rant. That misspelling resulted in turning into a preferred meme that has now morphed into an acronym amongst crypto traders for “holding-on for expensive life.”)
The breakdown of the numbers from the January survey is revelatory:
- About one-quarter of women in the survey (24%) stated they personal crypto. The majority inside that group — 70% — are HODLers, having purchased however by no means offered their digital cash.
- Nearly 45% of women stated they are skilled at shopping for crypto, which is sort of twice as many women who reported doing the identical in BlockFi’s first survey six months earlier (23%).
- Of the 24% of women who personal crypto, 71% are shopping for Bitcoin, 42% are shopping for Dogecoin, and 18% are shopping for Ethereum.
- Among women in the survey who stated they personal crypto, 75% stated they have solely traded crypto, which suggests they have not taken benefit of incomes curiosity and rewards or partaking in mining or staking.
- According to the survey, just one in 10 women surveyed stated they use a crypto curiosity account, and one in 20 have bought NFTs or participated in crypto mining.
According to the survey, the speak of crypto — and the potential monetary rewards alluded to all through conventional and social media — has more and more piqued the curiosity among the many women surveyed, ensuing in sensible intent and funding in this various foreign money. But skepticism stays very excessive among the many survey members, particularly when it comes to crypto’s use for his or her monetary wellness. In the survey, 92% of women stated they’ve heard of cryptocurrency, however 80% discover it “complicated”, and 72% imagine it is “too dangerous to make investments in.” Only 20% surveyed stated they imagine crypto might help them attain their monetary objectives, each large and small. The most typical objectives embody funding a trip, retiring on time and buying a house.
14% view Bitcoin comparably to gold, 16% to silver, and 13% to particular person shares as a long-term funding. However, 41% of the women surveyed imagine actual property is the very best long-term funding. Non-fungible tokens, alternatively, scored poorly: solely 4% see NFTs as the very best long-term funding, in accordance to the survey.
But for among the women surveyed, curiosity in cryptocurrency extends past investing in it to working in it, particularly in gentle of a January LinkedIn report that stated crypto-related job postings had been (*3*). A small group — one in 10 women surveyed — regard crypto to be a promising profession sector, double the quantity who regard fintech as most promising. A barely larger variety of respondents, 15%, stated they’re “” in a profession in crypto, with one in 10 saying they’re planning to apply to a job at a crypto- or blockchain-focused firm in the following year, in accordance to the survey.
“It’s very thrilling to know that women have gotten extra conscious of the advantages of proudly owning crypto and expressing curiosity in working in the crypto sector,” says Flori Marquez, founder and senior vice-president of operations at BlockFi. “Now it is our duty to proceed to shut the training hole and supply as many on-ramps as attainable, so women can simply achieve publicity to crypto markets and get snug doing extra with their crypto,” she stated.